Feeling Real Neat Right Now

Yesterday was my birthday, wherein I discovered that I'd been lied to: people do like you when you're 23. In fact, the lovely Anna of Just Rise Above It has nominated me for a Real Neat Blog Award. How exciting! From one platonic life partner to the other: thank you very much!

Anna writes about her journey to improve her health and well-being, focusing on both her physical and mental wellness, and improving her happiness wherever she can. Explore her blog (and follow her, of course) for a site that is regularly updated (mine is not), and complete with recipes, life advice, insights, and reflection. She's an all-round winner (proven: she has an award)!


So the rules for this award are as follows:


1. Put the award logo on your blog
2. Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you
3. Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs
4. Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs
5. Let them know you nominated them (by commenting on their blog, etc.)
And now to answer Anna's questions:

1. Where do most visits to your blog come from?

I have compiled a table to answer this, using the data as of today (March 29th 2015):

Country # of Pageviews %age of Total
USA 562 76.36
UK 83 11.28
Canada 57 7.74
Germany 10 1.36
Poland 7 0.95
France 6 0.82
Denmark 3 0.41
Russia 3 0.41
Sweden 3 0.41
Ireland 2 0.27
TOTAL 736 100.00

Mmm, pretty numbers.

2. What are your creative pursuits, besides blogging?

As far as creativity goes, I consume much more than I produce. I love watching films and television, especially when I have a chance to critique and discuss them with someone. Currently, I'm attempting to write my own scripts, with little success. More to follow on this in the future (hopefully). In the meantime, I like to read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I have also tried those same hands to sporadically writing fiction. I've dabbled in traditional art skills like drawing and painting, which I enjoy but don't see them funding a career any time soon. I really enjoying making sculptures, a term I use loosely to describe any three dimensional project I've ever made, most of which end up as gifts for other people. My most recent creations were a pack of playing cards, and a voucher booklet for a friend's visit to London.

3. What is your favourite quote?

"Fairies have to be one thing or the other, because being so small they unfortunately have room for one feeling only at a time."
- J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Carl Sagan also said some good stuff.


4. How do you attempt to stay healthy, in whatever form you take 'healthy' to mean?

Talking, mostly. I loathe most forms of physical exercise and am generally disinterested in it at the moment. My path to health this year has been mostly mental, given that it's been a year of some drastic changes. I talk to people about how I'm feeling, though this is usually one-sided soliloquising. I like to think they listen, but wouldn't blame them if they drifted occasionally.

5. What do people not expect about you?

How much I can eat and how little I can drink. (That's what I get for being eternally peckish and a massive lightweight.)

6. Anything you wished you had learnt sooner?

How to manage my finances, what it feels like to move to another continent, how long it takes to feel settled somewhere, mental health is more important than physical health in many ways, emotions aren't weaknesses.

7. Share one of your current favourite recipes with us!

I had a surprise surplus of smoked salmon last Sunday, which meant I got to look up a bunch of new recipes - always fun. This was an excellent recipe from Epicurious for pasta with smoked salmon and capers. I added black olives as well (they needed using up), and it turned out great!

Thanks again to Anna for nominating me; this was great fun to write and a change from what I usually post on here (far less dramatic and melancholy).


I would like to nominate the following Tumblrs in return, both of which I enjoy greatly:


Conceptual Engineer

fruube

And to whom my questions are as follows:


1. Why did you choose Tumblr over other websites?
2. Who do you admire?
3. How do you think you've changed since we last saw each other?
4. What's the best piece of advice you could give someone?
5. Do you have any irrational beliefs?
6. Would you watch the movie before or after reading the book it was adapted from?
7. Which would you rather have: feathers for fingers, or watermelons for feet?

Currently reading:
Hobbes, T. (1651), Leviathan, Project Gutenberg eBook prepared from Pelican Classics
McNally, D. (2011), Monsters of the Market: Zombies, Vampires and Global Capialism, Brill Academic Publishers

Further information on the creator of the Real Neat Blog Award:

Dear Kitty: https://dearkitty1.wordpress.com/

Comments